Reverse-seared steaks start in your choice of either an oven or bbq on low heat, and then finished off on stove top or BBQ grill. By searing at the end, you’ll get tender, perfectly cooked meat with a crisp, burnished crust every time. It is important to note that this method should only be used on thick cut steak such as the Tomahawks or Cowboy Cut T-Bones.
- Preheat oven/smoker BBQ to 135°C/275F
- Place well seasoned steaks (salt & pepper or your favourite steak rub) on a rack over a baking tray (cover the tray with foil to save yourself a clean up)
- Put in oven/smoker BBQ and cook till an internal temp of 52-57°C / 125-135F depending on your preference of “doneness”. Refer to below chart.
- Remove when at temp and rest for 10-15 minutes under foil
- Preheat a skillet or heavy based pan to screamingly hot temperatures
- Sear steaks for one minute each side
- Serve immediately